2019 ARC YOUTH SUMMER SWIM INFORMATION - available January 2019 | Private Swim Lesson Info Below
2018 Summer Swim Information - (download registration form/waiver)
About the ARC Summer Swim Program:
The UC Irvine Campus Recreation is continuing to offer group and private swim instruction to dependents of the UCI community, including UCI Students, Faculty, Staff, Alumni, Affiliates and their spouses. Children in the program must be between the ages of 3*-14. ARC Membership is not required for children’s swim lessons. Lessons will be held at the Anteater Recreation Center pool. For extra safety precautions, we require that parents/guardians remain on the pool deck at all times for the entirety of the lesson.
* All children must be potty trained to participate in swim program.
The ARC Summer Swim program includes group, private and semi-private swimming lessons for youth of all skill and ability levels. All lessons are 40 minutes long. Group swim lessons are scheduled in 2 week sessions that run Monday-Thursday and are scheduled by ability level. Group lessons have a maximum of 10 children per class. Please see class level descriptions below to ensure enrollment into the proper level. Levels have been combined to allow participants to progress. Participants will be grouped within the levels by ability. Private and semi-private lessons are also available. Please click on the Private lessons tab below for more information.
Our program is based on the American Red Cross Learn to Swim program. Each level is designed with a specific skill set that builds upon the previous level. Due to the amount of skills covered in each level, it is common for participants to repeat levels before moving on to a higher level (determined by instructor). To accomodate easy of transfer between levels, levels have been combined to allow for easier progression. If your child is enrolled in the incorrect level, we will make every effort to place them in the correct level. Transfers to a different level are based on availability and cannot always be accommodated. Please read through the level descriptions before enrollment to ensure your swimmer is placed in the correct level. If a particular class has less than 3 students enrolled, we reserve the right to cancel that class.
Check out the summer swim video!
(no refunds after the 1st class lesson)\ Refund Policy.
2019 Enrollment begins on TBA
at Campus Recreation Services located in the Anteater Recreation Center and online. The office is open from 8am – 6pm, Monday - Friday.
- Online Registration
|If you are an ARC Member or Current UCI Student:
||If you are NOT an ARC Member of Current UCI Student (GUEST):
- Please contact Campus Recreation Services to have your child added to your existing account.
- You may call the Sales Desk at 949-824-3738
Monday – Friday 8am-6pm.
- You may also email Campus Recreation at email@example.com
- You will receive an email confirmation when your child has been added. This will be completed within 24 hours (unless during a weekend where it will be completed by next Monday)
- Visit the Campus Recreation Secure Site and Select "Forgot Password/Create Logins? Click Here."
- If you have previously logged in online, please your login information and log into the site.
- First Time Visitors: Enter your email address and you will be sent login information.
- Select Program Registration
- Choose the category Youth
- Choose desired program/level
- Please review refund policy and select accept & enroll
- Visit the Campus Recreation Secure Site and Select "Become a Guest"
- Enter Personal Information
- Be sure select “Add a Sub Member”. This is where you will enter your child’s information. If more than one child, please repeat this process
- Create online credentials
- Got to Home Page - Select Program Registration
- Choose the category Youth
- Choose desired program/swim level
- Please review refund policy and select accept & enroll
- You may pay with cash, check (payable to UC Regents) or credit card (Visa/MasterCard).
- Download the Registration Form & Waiver.
- Please be sure to list lesson dates, level and location (ARC or Uni Hills)
- Take the registration form to the Anteater Recreation Center or mail the completed form (with signed waiver) to:
Campus Recreation Services
680 California Ave
Irvine, CA 92697-4515
- Please register at least 10 days prior to the desired session to ensure availability.
- You will be notified only if we cannot accomodate your request
Private swimming lessons allow for swimmers to get the one-on-one attention they need to tackle any swimming obstacle whether they are just starting out or already have experience. Individual attention allows for instructors to focus on personalized objectives for your child. Private Lessons are scheduled with the Youth Programs Director. Lessons are scheduled based on instructor availability and not all day and time requests can be accommodated. Private swim lessons are 35 minutes long.
Semi-private swimming lessons are 2 children with 1 instructor. This option is perfect for siblings or friends who want to take lessons together, but still want the more individualized lessons. Children enrolled in semi-private lessons must be in the same swim level. Parents/guardians must provide both swimmers, Campus Recreation is not responsible for grouping swimmers for semi-private lessons. Semi-Private swim lessons are 35 minutes long.
Private Lessons: $25 for individually purchased privates (3 or fewer lessons)
$92 for package of 4 lessons ($23 per lesson)
Semi-Priave Lessons: $26 for individually purchased semi-privates ($13 per swimmer for 3 or fewer lessons)
$88 for semi-private package of 4 lessons ($11 per swimmer per lessons)
Swim Class Levels
- Please read through all level descriptions before enrolling in a level.
American Red Cross Swim Levels
Each level is designed to build upon the previous level. Some skills will be repeated in subsequent levels. The prerequisite for advancing to the next level is successful demonstration of the skills from the preceding level. Contact Campus Recreation for a complete list of skills. Please note classes may need to be adjusted for group participants according to age and ability.
Level 1& 2
An Introduction to Water Safety class, this level is perfect for young and new swimmers with little to no swimming experience. In this level, instructors will focus on teaching participants how to become comfortable in the water, water safety rules, learning to float on back assisted, putting face in water, and introduction to submerging head completely underwater and blowing bubbles. Fundamental Aquatic Skills is for swimmers who are comfortable in the water and need to develop beginning swimming skills. Children in this level should be able to place face in water and blow bubbles, enter the water on their own, and be willing to float. This level will focus on complete head and body submersion, bobbing, float on back unassisted, front and back glide, introduction of arm crawl stroke arm movement.
Level 3 &4
Stroke Development is for swimmers who are able to float and glide unassisted, swimmers should also be comfortable with head submersion and blowing bubbles. This level is going to focus on how to perform proper crawl stroke in regard to arm movement, kicking and introduction to rotary breathing. Swimmers will also have an introduction to backstroke. Stroke Improvement is for swimmers who have a basic introduction to crawl stroke and rotary breathing. Swimmers should be comfortable with complete submersion and holding breath for a couple seconds. This level will focus on putting together crawl stroke with proper pull, kick, and breathing timing as well as back stroke and treading water. Introduction to breast stroke and butterfly stroke.
Stroke Refinement is for swimmers who can swim 1 pool length of crawl stroke unassisted in the deep end, and have basic knowledge of backstroke. This level will focus on how to swim crawl stroke more efficiently while building endurance as well as deck diving and turns. Build upon knowledge of backstroke with coordination of arm pull and kicking. Swimmers will learn proper form for breast stroke and butterfly if time permits.
Click to view the Uni Hills Summer Swim Information
For more information, contact Campus Recreation Services (824.3738).